The Lunch Idea:
With no advance planning, I am just trying at the last minute to throw a little last bit of Halloween into the lunches. Pumpkin shaped sandwiches with my pumpkin cookie cutter and a few picks for eyes. The little oranges that look like little pumpkins. And the Halloween wrappers on the cheese make it easy.
Have you ever seen me put a chocolate chip cookie in a lunch? I think this is a first. They'll be shocked! I thought a little treat was in order.
This lunch has it all: dairy, gluten, nuts, chocolate. Sorry.
What's in the lunch:
- Sandwiches: three are peanut butter and homemade grape jam. One child lately has decided that she hates peanut butter and jelly, so she has ham and cheese.
- A little orange
- Almonds and dried apricots
- Chocolate chip cookie
- When you are cutting a sandwich in a shape, try cutting the pieces separately and then putting the sandwich together. It's much less messy this way, and your bread doesn't get torn apart.
- A little napkin on the bottom just helps add color, and make keeps things in place a little.
- Whenever I cut anything in shapes, people ask what I do with the scraps! Often, I eat the scraps, or one of the kids does. When it's just bread, like today because I cut the bread first, then I save it to make bread crumbs. I have a bag in my freezer of bread scraps. I just toss them in there, and next time I need bread crumbs for a recipe I just throw a handful of scraps in the food processor. Homemade breadcrumbs are so easy, and so much better than store bought.