I don't know why I do this to myself. Having this stuff in the house is so dangerous. But I saw a mention of Monkey Bread recently and it brought back yummy childhood memories - I knew Callie would love making it.
So I searched online and found tons of recipes - it's a pretty basic idea, there are lots of possible minor variations, but below is the basic recipe we used, with my adjustments.
- 3 cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (I actually used 2 cans, but they were the jumbo sized biscuits)1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2-1 cup margarine (I used butter, most of a stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans (I used walnuts, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place nuts onto bottom of greased bundt pan.
- Quarter biscuits; roll in cinnamon and sugar that has been mixed together. Place in pan.
- Melt margarine, brown sugar and water; boil 2 minutes and pour over biscuits. (I actually did this part in the microwave, and I dumped in the remaining cinnamon and sugar that was left from coating the biscuits, for added goodness)
- Bake for 25 minutes. (mine took more like 30 minutes)
- invert out onto a plate. and see if you can manage to let it cool a little before you dive in.
This stuff is so good. I should have taken a picture when it first came out, because it looked so pretty. But we couldn't control ourselves, we devoured half of it before I thought to get the camera out.