how to make Pizza rolls!
Easy homemade pizza rolls are a family favorite - for so many reasons!
I'm happy to share how I make our favorite kid food, because it's basically the easiest thing ever.
Scroll to the end for the full Pizza Rolls recipe.
You can make these with as little 3 items from your fridge, only a few minutes to put together.
You could totally go make some of these now and be eating them in 20 minutes - that's how fast! And as with most of my favorite recipes - the ingredients here are very flexible.
I think these might be one of the perfect kid foods.
They're small enough for little hands, they are not messy, they seem to travel and keep well, and - best of all - they taste like pizza!
A few tips about how I make these pizza rolls.
Because my goal with this recipe is to have something that comes together super fast and easy, I go with a packaged dough most of the time.
Usually I use a can of crescent roll dough from Trader Joe's. But use any quick and easy dough you like.
You could also use biscuit dough, or certainly if you have homemade dough, go for it!
If I'm buying pre-made dough I try to look for one that's not got too much nasty stuff in it.
The TJ's brand is not too bad. It's not as easy to handle as some others (maybe because it's missing some of the chemical dough conditioners and junk), but for this recipe that's ok. You're not actually making crescent rolls with it.
For the sauce I used an organic canned pizza sauce or sometimes just plain tomato sauce. Any kind you like will do.
I use traditional mozzarella for ours most of the time, but any flavor if cheese you like would be great too.
The amounts of the sauce and cheese are also flexible - it's really about your personal taste. Just don't add too much - you don't want to squish it all out when you cut.
These are such great kid food, my kids scarf them up.
But the husband and I eat our fair share too. I think they are a perfect make-ahead item for kids lunches.
Everybody loves homemade pizza rolls!
Let's be honest - a big green salad with a few of these on the side, doesn't that sound like a perfect weeknight dinner?
These freeze great.
Whenever I make them I always at least double the recipe and I put a bunch in the freezer.
It doesn't get any easier for packing a school lunch - to pull out a few of these, throw in a few carrots and a little fruit, and lunch is done.
How to make Homemade Pizza Rolls:
Easy Homemade Pizza Rolls
A crowd pleasing favorite!
- Dough - 1 can of prepared crescent roll dough. Or any other dough of your choice.
- A little flour (any kind will do - it's just for rolling the dough)
- A few tablespoons of pizza sauce (or just plain tomato sauce)
- About 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or whatever cheese you like.
- Other fillings of your choice - cut into small pieces (pepperoni, ham, veggies, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take the dough out of the can, sprinkle both sides with a little flour
- Fold it over on itself once or twice (otherwise it's trying to come apart at the seams)
- Roll out into a rectangle until it's about 1/4 inch thick
- Spread pizza sauce or tomato sauce thinly and evenly across the whole piece of dough
- Sprinkle cheese evenly
- Add other toppings as desired
Start rolling from the long edge, you want your final roll to be long and narrow. Try to get it as tight as you can without feeling like you're squishing it.
- At this point if you've handled it a lot and you feel like your dough is getting too soft to slice, stick it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to firm up.
- Slice into 3/4 inch pieces with a very sharp knife.
- Lay your cut rolls out evenly on a baking sheet - either spray with a bit of cooking spray or line with parchment
- Bake at 350 for about 12-14 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and dough is golden brown.
Double or triple or quadruple this recipe and make lots extra. These freeze great and are perfect for the lunch box.