In some ways I feel like they've been back to school for a while now - so I'm not sure how we are only on lunch number 13. But in other ways I feel like I just got them out of the house, because I still have so much catching up to do after a summer of having them all home. Time is strange. We originally had a very late start date for school, but then we had a week long teacher's union strike, so we started school extra late. I keep looking at the calendar and thinking, it's already October, I should feel like I'm much more into a comfortable routine by now. But then I remember that we haven't even been back to school for 3 full weeks yet, so it's probably ok that I don't feel like I've got my rhythm down yet. Ah well, we'll get there.
The lunch idea:
I was at the grocery store yesterday and English muffins where on sale, so I grabbed some. Everybody loves pizza for lunch, and English muffin pizzas are an all time classic, and so easy to make. If you keep some basic ingredients on hand - English muffin, tomato sauce, cheese - this is a great one to have in your back pocket for when you can't think of anything else. You can never go wrong with pizza.
What's in the lunches:
- English Muffin Pizzas: English muffins, spread with plain tomato sauce and cheese, bake in 400 degree oven or toaster oven until the cheese is bubbly.
- Cucumbers and tomatoes
- Apple and orange bites
- A few little chocolate cookies
Questions and Tips:
- English muffin pizzas freeze great! If you have time, make a whole baking sheet of them, and you'll have enough to put in the freezer for another meal. If you pack the night before, you can just put them in the lunchboxes still frozen, and they will be thawed by morning.
- Mixing apples with citrus is a nice way to keep the apples fresh, if you have concerns about browning.
- I love including a tiny fork for the kids to eat their fruit bites with. It's not totally necessary, but a simple way to make their lunch a little bit fun.
Products linked here are affiliate links. If you choose to purchase something from a link I have provided, I earn a small commission from Amazon. It does not affect the price you pay, but it does help me keep this blog going. I appreciate your support!