A week late on posting lunches from last week - we've had a few sick kiddos around here and I don't get much time in front of the computer. But the work goes on, lunches are still made and eaten.
I've had a few opportunities to have lunch with my kids at their schools, and seeing the wide variety of lunch choices is always eye opening. I have to say I was very impressed with the lunches at the pre-k - those are some dedicated parents packing some really healthy foods! And the kids are eating the healthy food! I think it's easier for them when they see that all their friends are also having such healthy lunches. The elementary school lunch room has a much wider variety - a lot of healthy homemade lunches, but also a lot of little packages of very sugary cookies, candy, and chocolate coated bars (and, no surprise, these items are usually being eaten by the most poorly behaved kids in the room. Coincidence?). But I am pleased to see that the lunches offered by the school always have a healthy balance - there is always plenty of fresh fruit and veggies offered. Even if the kids don't eat it, it's good for them to see the healthy choices offered, I think being exposed to healthy food is at least a good first step.
A few lunch tips for this week:
- Lunch time is a great time to use up leftovers or clean out your fridge. If they liked it for dinner, they'll probably like it for lunch. Make extra for dinner and pack it up as you are cleaning up the dinner. Keep it warm in a food jar if your kids like their food warm (mine don't care for most things).
- Try to cut things into kid size pieces, I think it helps them eat faster.
- Take an ordinary item and just cut it differently to make it a little more interesting - in a couple of these lunches I cut the apple or pear in rounds, and used a little vegetable cutter to cut out the core.
- Breakfast for lunch is always fun. I always make extra of my pancakes or french toast, and it makes a super easy lunch. And they love the idea of a sandwich made from pacakes or french toast (or waffles too!).
- Don't forget to make lunch for yourself too!
Until next week!