Breakfast for lunch of course, because it's Wednesday. I've come to count on making breakfast for lunch on Wednesday. For some reason I find these lunches to be the least boring, and I never have trouble coming up with an idea for it. And I like doing it on Wednesday because I feel like it helps get us over the hump of the week. It's a nice break to the ordinary. It often ends up being more a 'treat' type lunch, with a little less protein and a little more sugar than I normally pack, and I think that's totally ok for one day a week.
The Lunch Idea:
I was so excited about this lunch that I had a hard time not eating one of them myself. If this one isn't a winner, then I might just have to quit. Who wouldn't eat this? This is homemade apple bread sandwiches The bread is a recipe I am still working on an hope to post it soon - sorry I keep teasing about that, but baking is a tricky thing and I don't want to post it until I'm sure it's right. As you can see from the picture, one of the loaves fell a little flat - too much liquid I think. But it still tastes really great - a bright, fresh apple flavor, that goes so great with the butter or cream cheese, and the fruit.
What's in the Lunch:
- Apple bread sandwiches, spread with either cream cheese or butter, and a few little slices of strawberry in the middle
- Fruit: banana, strawberries, and grapes.
- Cereal: chex
- A little extra protein: Babybel cheese.
Lunch Tips and Questions:
- I don't do anything to the bananas to keep them from browning. Those cut ends might get a little brown, but not enough to keep anyone from eating it.
- I stuck the sandwiches on a little bamboo skewer to just secure them and keep them from moving around too much in the box. Not mandatory, but it does help keep the lunch looking nice until they eat it.
- Somebody commented once that my lunches looked like they had a lot of fruit - maybe too much. I disagree. Kids need a cup to a cup and a half of fruit a day. My kids usually do most of their fruit eating a lunch, and this isn't more than they should have in a day. It's a great way to get them some natural fiber and natural energy. If they are going to have something sweet, I would much rather it be fruit versus some of the other sweet treats that I see in so many lunches.