The Lunch Idea:
I'll be honest, I almost wasn't going to make lunch for today. Tomorrow marks the start of ski lesson season for us - that means the whole family piles in the car early in the morning and we spend our day at the mountain. And, if we don't want to spend a fortune in the lodge, that also means packing lunch for all 6 of us on Saturday. For 7 weeks. So I wasn't sure if I could really bring myself to pack lunch 6 days a week. I was contemplating just letting the kids buy lunch on Fridays during ski season. And I may yet some weeks.
But yesterday I felt like I had time, and so I just quickly peeked a my page with all of last year’s lunches for an idea. I saw a lunch similar to this and I realized that I could throw it together in about 5 minutes. So I could feel good about packing them lunch, but not have to spend a bunch of time doing it.
This is what I sometimes call deconstructed nachos. Basically, its all the ingredients for - nachos, the chips, cheese, beans, sour cream - but not all toasted and melted together. If you have chips and cheese in your house, you can make this. This lunch honestly took me about 5 minutes to make.
What’s in the Lunch:
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Black beans
- Sour cream (actually, it’s a mixture of sour cream and plain yogurt, because I ran out of sour cream. But ssshh, don’t tell, they’ll never know)
- On the side they have some quickly sliced up apples and cucumbers.
Questions and Tips:
- We don’t have any means to heat up food at school, so all of these lunches are eaten at room temp.
- Sorry, but I’ve looked high and low for an online link for these little metal containers that I put the beans in, and I can’t find one. I often use these instead though, they're a little smaller, but you could pack the beans and sour cream separately.
- I pack in EasyLunchboxes, they keep the food nice and fresh overnight in the fridge.
- Here’s my post about apples.